New top story on Hacker News: Ask HN: Where are all the software-contracting agents?

Ask HN: Where are all the software-contracting agents?
20 by biztos | 20 comments on Hacker News.
A long time ago I worked as a software consultant/contractor in the US, and I'm thinking of doing it again. I mostly enjoyed it but the "find your next client" part was really stressful. Of course, there's another big industry in which talent always has to find projects and vice-versa, and that's the film (and television) industry... in which there are Agents whose job it is to do that matching for a 10% share of the deal. But when I look around I don't see that happening in software. I know some people tried, but I don't think it got anywhere. Instead I still see "consulting companies" that have employees, and "independent contractors" that have to constantly worry about their next gig. For people who want to be independent contractors, but don't want to do the whole networking-for-jobs thing, it seems like Hollywood-style agents would be the perfect solution. Why isn't the software agent a thing, even a dominant thing, in our industry?

Comments