New top story on Hacker News: Ask HN: What was your experience like moving from an IC to a manager role?

Ask HN: What was your experience like moving from an IC to a manager role?
9 by thatsamonad | 3 comments on Hacker News.
At my current job my boss and I have been discussing a potential move for me into management. I am currently a technical/functional lead but I find myself more and more dealing with “people” challenges and helping to unblock others rather than purely solving technical issues. At this point I’m a little on the fence about whether becoming a full-blown manager appeals to me. I really like working on technical issues but at the same time I love being able to provide some leadership and guidance for those who need it. It would also give me slightly more weight when it comes to departmental decisions and high-level strategic goals which I do find appealing. In general, I’m curious what the transition was like for most folks who moved from being an individual contributor to a manager. Did you ultimately end up loving it? Hated it? Any advice and input is greatly appreciated!

Comments