New top story on Hacker News: Ask HN: Would Spreadsheets with Lisps be much more powerful?

Ask HN: Would Spreadsheets with Lisps be much more powerful?
23 by sarvasvkulpati | 14 comments on Hacker News.
I'm a CS freshman who got obsessed with lisps after using Scheme in my intro class. Tangentially, as a side project, I made a spreadsheet to learn how their update mechanism worked[0]. For the formula language, I implemented a basic lisp that does math expressions. That got me wondering- would making a fully functional lisp the formula language add substantial power to spreadsheets? Of course, macros add power to anything, but I'm wondering if there's specifically new interactions that would be possible with sheets using a lisp as opposed to, say, JS. An initial idea was being able to call (apply A1 B1) to apply a procedure from one cell to another, but that's not the most groundbreaking concept. Hence the question to those of you who understand lisps more than I do. p.s: Not a pro. Go easy on me HN! [0]: https://ift.tt/3pJvGek

Comments